Sunday, July 19, 2009

Night at the Museum

Back in February our little group of children in our church decided to serve a romantic Italian dinner to the adult Sunday School Class. The night was so wonderful for all involved that the Sunday School class wanted to honor the kids' hard work with a "fun day". After agonizing for several months in order to balance the interests and accomodate any fears and phobias of all of the kids we settled for our own version of Night at the Museum.
We discovered that a local childrens museum hosts slumber parties relatively inexpensively and that is where our adventure began.


Some 15 kids ranging in age from three to nineteen and an equally large number of adults descended on the museum at 7:00 pm Friday night, and some 12 hours later were still going strong.

Oh yes, that is correct, we have had a "lock in" type experience each year for as long as I can remember (even when I was the participant and not the planner) and this is the first time I have actually STAYED UP ALL NIGHT!

The kids know I have a strict rule about arguing and whining and they knew the answer Friday night would immediately be GO TO BED. I am astonished to report that this group who know each other so well and often can't make it 2 hours on Wed. nights without getting on each others nerves gave me ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO EVEN THINK ABOUT SENDING THEM TO BED!

We took a movie break around 12:30 to get Brody and the three other kids under the age of 5 to sleep. Which turned into silent time after the full length feature when they were ALL still going stong. So yes, our 4 toddlers all made it until 2;00 AM!

The kids were very patient but chomping at the bit to get back up and play in the musuem "after dark" ~ which I have to admit was lots to fun!

About 6 AM when we decided they were definately not going to sleep, we decided to end our day early. We were scheduled to stay until 9:30 AM, but had our bags packed, the museum restored and were outthe door at first light! And boy did the Tyree's end Saturday early. Aydan fell asleep with his biscuit in his mouth on the way home, I had to wake him to tell him to finish chewing, Ansley didn't even get one bite, but fell asleep waiting in line. Brody was wide awake, but I am happy to report fell back asleep 5 minutes from home. We all piled in the bed, woke up at 2:00 PM , ate dinner at 5:00 and were back in bed at 7:30.

Lots of fun, food and fellowship as we Baptists like to say and I am sure lots of memories made!
Our own version of Night at the Museum was I dare say better than the movie!
There are no pictures ~ my camera was dead so I'll have to borrow some and post them later! Besides I am too tired to wait for them to upload anyway!
One blessed but very tired mom!

1 comment: